Norwegian version of this page

Study and research abroad - PhD

All PhD candidates are encouraged to spend time abroad as part of the source or field work related to the doctoral thesis or in order to receive supervision and other academic support at another university.

Good reasons to travel abroad

Studying abroad during the doctoral period can be necessary for those who need to do source and field work. Participating in external courses and conferences is also a key part of the organized research training, where candidates also have the opportunity to establish contacts and build networks. Longer stays can also provide opportunities for professional development and supervision by leading academics within your field.

The faculty encourages candidates to form international ties. An international track record will be crucial for future academic employment and for opportunities for external project funding.

How do I proceed if I want to study abroad?

Stays abroad can be either for a short or extended period. Any research trips lasting more than two weeks must be cleared with the employer and the PhD leader.

Information on all stays longer than two weeks must be sent to Details should include 1) the date of the stay, 2) the name of the institution you are visiting, 3) the purpose of the trip, and 4) the method of funding for the trip.

Support for research trips abroad

The Faculty also has a small internal travel fund for, temporary employees can apply for funding once a year. Information is sent via e-mail. Externally-funded PhD candidates cannot apply for these funds.

Exchange agreements

Exchange agreements with other universities are organized for extended stays. These agreements can normally be used for research trips and courses. They often provide practical and financial benefits compared with ordinary guest researcher stays.

See a general overview of exchange agreements for PhD candidates

The Faculty has cooperation agreements at PhD level With Union Theological Seminary in New York, USA and the University of KwaZulu-Natal in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa.

A formal exchange agreement, however, is not a requirement for undertaking a research trip. You can use your supervisor’s network as well as your own.

Travel through Erasmus+

All PhD candidates can undertake a student exchange through Erasmus and receive a grant in the same way as other students. The minimum duration of such stays is 3 months, and the faculty or department you are affiliated with must have an exchange agreement for PhD candidates with the overseas educational institution.

See an overview of Erasmus agreements for PhD candidates

If you are employed as a doctoral research fellow at the University of Oslo, you can also apply for Erasmus funding to teach at another university or for training or participation in courses.

The exchange application procedures may be different for PhD candidates than for students at a lower level. You should therefore contact at an early stage if you are considering taking advantage of an exchange agreement.

Joint supervision agreements

A joint supervision agreement, also known as a cotutelle, normally entails admission to the PhD programme and supervision at two institutions. Affiliation with both institutions will generally be aknowledged in the thesis and the diploma when the degree is awarded.

Published Apr. 22, 2015 8:22 AM - Last modified June 9, 2020 9:55 AM