Oddbjørn Birger Leirvik
Scholarly profile/research areas
Since 2021, I am professor emeritus of Interreligious Studies. I have been affiliated to The Faculty of Theology (University of Oslo) since 1996, from 2005 in a permanent position. My areas of research are Christian-Muslim relations, Islam, interreligious dialogue, interreligious university theology, multicultural ethics, and religion and society.
I have mainly taught courses related to the Faculty's bachelor- and master programs in Religion and Society ("Religion og samfunn"), and its international program Religion and Diversity.
See the Faculty's courses in interreligious studies.
- Research group in Interreligious Studies and Islamic Theology
- Religion i pluralist societies (PluRel), an interfaculty research area at the University of Oslo (academic director 2011-2013)
- European Society for Intercultural Theology and Interreligious Studies (ESITIS) - board member 2005-2013, chairperson 2011-2013
- Member of the editorial board, Kirke og Kultur 2008-2017, academic editor 2010-2017
- Member of the core group of researchers in Culcom (2005-2010), an interdisciplinary research program at the University of Oslo.
- Member of the Theological Commission of the Church of Norway, 2008-2015
- Board member of the Oslo Coalition on Freedom of Religion or Belief, 2000-2008
- Member/chairperson of the national Contact Group between the Church of Norway and the Islamic Council Norway, 1993-2008