My main research interest is in the broad area of feminist theory and methodology in the study of religion, with a particular focus on Islamic feminism/Islamic sexual ethics and South African Muslim women’s lived experiences. For a more in-depth account of my research interests, see http://www.tf.uio.no/english/about/news-and-events/news/2015/nina-hoel-associate-professor.html
- RESA4102 – Theory and Method in the Study of Religion, Society and Diversity
- REDI4150 - Religion, the Body and Sexuality
- RRE4205 - The three religions in contemporary perspective
- RESA4220 - Islam, Gender and Sexuality
- TFF3002 - Gender Perspectives on Religion and Theology
- TFF3003 - Bachelor Thesis: Gender Perspectives on Religion and Theology
- 2014 – 2015: Research Associate, KIFO (Institute for Church, Religion, and Worldview Research), Oslo, Norway
- 2013 – 2014: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Anthropology, School of Social Sciences, University of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. Project: Contemporary Islamic Sexual Ethics and Islamic Feminism. (PI: Dr. Maheshvari Naidu)
- 2010 – 2012: A. W. Mellon Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Department of Religious Studies, University of Cape Town, South Africa. Project: South African Muslim Women, Gender, and Sexuality (PI: Associate Prof. Sa’diyya Shaikh)
- 2010: Doctor of Philosophy, Religious Studies, University of Cape Town, South Africa. Thesis title: South African Muslim Women’s Experiences: Sexuality and Religious Discourses (Supervisor: Associate Prof. Sa’diyya Shaikh)
- 2005: Master of Social Science in Religious Studies, University of Cape Town, South Africa (degree was awarded with Distinction). Thesis title: Contemporary Discourses on Muslim Women and Veiling: A Critical Analysis (Supervisor: Associate Prof. Sa’diyya Shaikh)
- 2005 – 2012: Researcher, Institute for Comparative Religion in Southern Africa (ICRSA), Director: Professor David Chidester, University of Cape Town
- 2003: Mellomfag, Religious Studies, University of Bergen, Norway
- 2002-2003: Grunnfag, Religious Studies, University of Bergen, Norway
- 1998-2002: General Teacher, Professional Degree Programme, Bergen University College, Norway
- American Academy of Religion, Co-Chair “Religion and Sexuality Group” (2014- Present), Steering Committee Member (2012-2014).
- Islamic Africa, Editorial Advisory Board (2015-Present)
- African Association for the Study of Religions, Program Committee Member for the 6th AASR conference in Africa, 2013-2014.
- Journal for the Study of Religion, International Advisory Board (2014-Present), Editorial Board Member (2008-2013).