Shut up and Write is a session where people get together and work on something in silence. There are also "Shut up and write" sessions offered by the University of Oslo library.
The goal is to create some accountability and also to connect with fellow PhDs
The idea is to “meet” online once per week and have two sessions of writing for 45 minutes, a short break in between and then briefly discuss what we’ve achieved during the session.
Since we would all be PhD students in somewhat related fields, if there is a need, we could discuss each other’s work a little. If anybody urgently needs feedback for something, we could devote a session to read each other’s work and the comment on it for 15 minutes or so. The goal is to create some accountability and also to connect with fellow PhDs, talk about progress and problems you encounter while working on your dissertation.
What would a typical session look like?
- 9:30-9:45 depending on how many participate a group introduction and statement of goals for the session. If you are willing to read somebody’s work, let us know.
- 9:45-10:30 Writing/Reading/Editing
- 10:30-10:45 Break, a short discussion
- 10:45-11:30 Writing/Reading/Editing
- 11:30-12:00 Final discussion/conclusions/breakout rooms
How to participate
If you wish to join a session, you can click here to register.
Contact Joanna Hypszer if you have any questions or requests. The link will be ongoing so once you get it, you will be able to join every week.
If you have any other ideas and/or wishes for such sessions, do not hesitate to contact us! We are quite flexible and can adjust each session according to people’s needs.