Linda Kristina Joelsson
Noting that religion can be both healthy and harmful, while psychology might both enlighten and distort, I am interested in the interplay between these two disciplines. In recent years, I have become more and more interested in resilience, which is also the theme of my current project: Social systems in increasing levels of diversity as a resource for survival and flourishment.
My doctoral thesis developed the field of psychological hermeneutics in Biblical studies as I investigated Paul’s attitude to death and dying from the perspective of psychological coping (Routledge, 2017 and 2019). Through the chronological sequence of 1 Thessalonians, Galatians, 1-2 Corinthians, Romans, Philemon and Philippians, Paul’s attitude changes from denial to reaction, to processing, to acceptance, and his strategies also shift in accordance with these understandings.
In ”Exorcisms as Liberation” the concept of demon possession in Luke is investigated from the perspective of social systems theory and psychological trauma (Studia Theologica 74:2, 2020). This article is one of my personal favourites, since it has the capacity to promote respect for people suffering from mentally illness.
In “Mental Cascades of Σάρξ and Flesh,” the interpretation of the Greek term sarx in the New Testament is investigated from the cognitive psychological perspective of George Lakoff and Elisabeth Wehling, namely Mental Cascades (Studia Theologica 72:2, 2018).
- Marie Curie Sklodowska Training Fellowship (Horizon 2020-2022)
- C. E. Wikströms Minne (2018)
- Helge Ax:son Johnsons Stiftelse (2017)
- Kungl. Vitterhetsakademin (international conference, 2016)
- Stockholms kristliga yngligaförening (international conference, 2016)
- Stiftelsen Åbo Akademi forskningsinstitut (2015)
- Chair of the Unit ”Psychological Hermeneutics for Biblical Themes and Texts” in the Society of Biblical Literature’s International Meeting
- Member of the Editorial Board for ELSA, the theological journal affiliated with the Swedish Ecumenical Committee for Women
- Member of the Editorial Board for Tro & Liv, the theological journal affiliated with Stockholm School of Theology
- University Lecturer at Umeå University, Sweden; New Testament studies (2019)
- Theologian at Botkyrka församling, Church of Sweden (2018)
- Theological Secretary of the Uniting Church of Sweden (2017)
- University Lecturer at Ersta Sköndal Bräcke University, Stockholm; Religious education, New Testament theology, Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Religion and Health (2015–2016)