Academic interest/research areas:
Islamic philosophy, theology, Sufism and ethics, Philosophy of religion, Soren Kierkegaard, Inrerreligious theology, Comparative and inter-religious studies, Christian-Muslim dialogue, Balkan Muslims
- 2000-2002: Post. Doc. at the University of Copenhagen (Religious encounters in Denmark)
- 1996-2000: PhD - at the University of Copenhagen (Søren Kierkegaard in relation to Islam)
- 1989-1992: PhD in modern Philosophy at the University of Sarajevo (unfinished because of the war in Bosnia)
- 1985-1989: MA in philosophy and sociology at the University of Prishtina
- 2016 - Associate Professor of theological studies of Islam
- 2011 - 2015 Guest teacher at the Faculty of Theology in Oslo - teaching in Islamic philosophy and theology, Islamic mysticism in a comparative perspective, Islam, Christianity and the West
- 2007-2011 - Associate Professor at the Centre for European Islamic Thought - University of Copenhagen (Islamic Studies)
- 2002 - 2006 – External Lecturer at the Faculty of Theology - University of Copenhagen (teaching in Islamic theology, Social ethics in Islam and Christianity).
Books / dissertations:
- “Islamic Philosophy. Background, classical problems and contemporary expressions”, ANIS, Copenhagen, 2012.
- “Cultural and religious encounters in Denmark. Identity formation among young Christians and Muslims”, Museum Tusculanums Forlag, Copenhagen, 2004.
- “Passion of faith in Søren Kierkegaard and Sufism”, University of Copenhagen, 1999. (Doctoral dissertation, however, not published as a book)
- Bektovic, Safet (2016). Betydningen af islamisk teologi historisk og aktuelt. Teologisk Tidsskrift. ISSN 1893-0263. 5(3), s 248- 262
- Bektovic, Safet (2016). Towards a neo-modernist Islam: Fazlur Rahman and the rethinking of Islamic tradition and modernity. Studia Theologica. ISSN 0039-338X. 70(2), s 160- 178 . doi: 10.1080/0039338X.2016.1253260
- Bektovic, Safet (2016). Being Muslim refugie in Europe.
- Bektovic, Safet (2016, 01. mars). Ble bedre muslim av Kierkegaard-studier. Dagen.
- Bektovic, Safet (2016, 12. januar). Interview. [Radio].
- Bektovic, Safet (2016). Islamic Theology in Europe.
- Bektovic, Safet (2016). På flugt til Danmark.
- Bektovic, Safet (2016). Religion og heligskrifter i moderne demokratiske samfund.
- Bektovic, Safet (2016). Training of Imams in a non-Muslim enviromen.